Men-at-arms

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:11:06 +0000 (GMT)

Trotsky:

> Yeah, I do tend to think of the Loskalmi Soldiers as being more in the
> way of Farmers in training for Knighthood than Warriors in training for
> cavalry status. (Of course, many soldiers never advance to Knighthood,
> nor wish to, but that's a seprate issue). But, IMO, its actually rather
> blurred and could be validly looked at either way, or as if the Loskalmi
> actually had five social classes. Of course, the Loskalmi are so weird
> from the POV of other Malkioni that this blurring between the two
> classes is just one more thing to get annoyed about.

I always wondered about the men-at-arms or soldiered militia of the Malkioni armies. Would these be of the Knight caste, in which case are there sub-orders of the Knight caste, or are they Farmer caste who have to fight at times? It would seem difficult to maintain a standing army of Knight caste soldiers, so do they have militia who are officially of Knight caste but don't fight that often, doing other things in the meantime? Is it different for each of the Malkioni types?

Simon

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com