(no subject)

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:10:34 +1300

Terra Incognita:

> > > IMHO, Arkat proved "Hrestol's achievement to Knighthood" is
> > > mystical and he justified his frequent usage of Crusade Ritual.

Me> > I doubt it since he didn't provide it with any new relevations
> > and subsequently abandoned it to join the Orlanthi.

> But later he returned to Ralios and proved worshipping of lesser
> deities in his church is OK.

But he did so as an Arkati, not a Knight.

Me> > I don't think anyone can speak of a single caste structure

> > for the pre-Jrusteli kingdoms. They are far more likely to
> > have differed by region (Fronela, Seshnela, Safelster, Jrustela)
> > and time (before Dawn, Dawn Age, Early Imperial) creating a
> > potential for ten different variations on Caste.

> But it seems Brithini made similar structure of society in each
> of their colonized coastal area as most nonhuman elder races.
> Divergence is from their mortality, I think.

That's the wrong way of looking at it IMO. The Brithini are not the only Malkioni survivors of the Ice Age and other Malkioni nations (such as Loskalm and Seshnela) were founded by non-Brithini settlers.

> > I don't see any problem. My Arkati article describes the
> > Arkati as controlling things from the shadows. The
> > Safelstrans are open-minded about their castes because
> > they know the Arkati really control everything.

> Yes, but how about like the current rulers of naskorion and azilos?
> They already became (in)famous as targets of inquisitors and called
> themselves Archon or Autarch, etc...

My article also stated that a few Arkati were openly asserting ancient titles as a sign of their might.

> and I am skeptical about most of Stygian Autarchs were merely
> figureheads of secret society.

Which my article never said. It describes Safelstran Arkati in the modern age as hiding in the Shadows because of the God Learner curses. The glorious days of the Autarchy however are before the God Learner curses and so the Arkati then had no need to conceal themselves.

 --Peter Metcalfe