Re: Five Horned Star and Malkioni Titles

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 20:53:36 +0000

><<I feel fairly strongly that some Gloranthans are bound
>to practise sorcery for sorcery's sake, and that they would
>organise as "Bands" to further and express their cynical,
>egotistic ideals, and experiment with God-forbidden rituals
>of power.>>
>
>I agree, but we talked about Loskalmi and they are more concerned with the
>purge of Godlearnism in 2nd Age and chivalric emphasis is overtoned in their
>land.

In Sorcerer Knights, this will likely be the emphasis, indeed. Its a players guide elucidating their culture, as Thunder Rebels does for the Heortlings, so it won't describe the evil wizards in any more detail than TR describes the Lunar Empire. This doesn't mean that such people don't exist! Although they by and large don't exist inside Loskalm, admittedly, because they've all been kicked out. Loads of them in Sog City, of course.

>Adept derived from a sort of word "Alchemist" .

Derived at least as much from the English word "adept" meaning "somebody proficient and skilled", I suspect.

>Maybe I can call the head of Church "Pope" from inside of their building,
>and call him "Ecclesiarch" once I am outside of his church.

Can if you like :-)

>Though I don't know well about the system and hierarchy of Roman Catholic
>and difference from Greek (Russian?) Orthodox Church....I don't think
>Tolkien (he was a catholic...) approved the image of old Genertela Box
>seshnela. For Protestantism (and muslim) deny the idea of a specified
>hierarchal priesthood communicating God.
>
>Pope (Ecclesiarch)
>Cardinal
>Archbishop
>Bishop
>Priest

The above scheme wouldn't fit either the Loskalmi (who have no Archbishops) or the Seshnegi (who have no Cardinals), IMO. Nor is it quite the Catholic scheme :-)

>And Malkioni perfectly different set of history to their titles:
>
>Titles of Seshnelan Overlords
>http://www.glorantha.com/greg/seshnelanKings1.html
>Sacred Overlord for Seshna
>Emperor of the Silver Empire
>http://www.glorantha.com/greg/seshnelanKings2.html
>Duke of Frowal
>Manager of Greater Seshnela, the High Duke of Greater Seshnela (Ullmal)
>Count of Orphalsket; Champion of Malkion; later also Sacred Overlord (Saval)
>http://www.glorantha.com/greg/seshnelanKings3.html
>Emperor of the Land and Sea
>
>I don't know where the word "emperor" derived from in Glorantha.
>
>From languages such as Dara Happan, Kralori, Jrusteli and Seshnegi,
presumably.

>For example, DH emperor means Ern Azali Baka Est Ja [GRoY]. (Never Latin
>"imperator")

Well, no, but it wouldn't literally be the word 'Emperor' in Glorantha anyway. That's just our English translation of the Gloranthan title(s). It'll presumably be something else in Japanese.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic