Loskalmi titles

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 19:43:32 +1300

Terra Incognita

>Loskalm Titles by Peter Metcalph (in Glo: Intro)
>Parish? Mayor / Acolythist
>Barony Baron / Liturgist
>Diocese Count / Vicar (RW Diocletian Reform)
>Province Prince / Cardinal / Dux
>Kingdom King / Ecclesiarch

Dredging through me notes, I should point out the text in the glorantha: intro changed (and suffered) in the transition from edited draft to published book.

Secondly the Church has different territories and names for its hierarchies than the Temporal authorities. In Ideal Loskalm (i.e. Loskalm as it should be, not as it currently is) Counts rule counties, not dioceses, and a county does not necessarily have the same borders as a diocese.

My draft stated that no mayors existed in Loskalm, instead cities were governed by the lowest ranks of the Lords Temporal ( to cement Ideal authority). I don't think barons exist in Ideal Loskalm as Nick once pointed out the title sounds too feudalistic. I currently favour the title Urban Prefect while their rural counterparts are District Prefects. Some cities are so large that Counts govern them.

Acolythists are not Lords Spirituals but their servants while Liturgists, the lowest rank of the Lords Spiritual, oversee the spiritual affairs of the Parishes.

Lastly, I'm not certain that the Loskalmi Ecclesiarch is equal to the King. He may just be first among equals and owe his special status due to being Cardinal of Southpoint/Isefwal.

--Peter Metcalfe