dragon pass clarifications

From: Matt Thrower <matt_thrower_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 09:25:58 +0000

Hi all,

I've not been lurking any time at all, so please forgive me if I make any major gaffes in my post. I recently achieved one of my life's minor amibtions and acquired a copy of dragon pass. After my first couple of games, I wanted a few clarifications, so any advice on the following would be vastly appreciated:

  1. Combat: In combats involving stacks across multiple hexes, how are these resolved? We presumed you totalled the combat factors of the all the units available to attack across all the hexes and did the same for the defenders. But it seems remarkably easy to achieve huge total combat factors this way, especially with defensive doubling. Is this right, or are the combats resolved one hex at a time?
  2. More Combat: If you do have a total of over 36 for a totalled combat factor, what do you do with the "extra" since the combat table only goes up to 36? Are the rest ignored?
  3. The hydra: does this require feeding *each* time it's owning player wishes to move it, or does it only need feeding once?
  4. The crimson bat: do units eliminated by the bats' chaos magic count toward feeding it on black and dying days? Similarly do any units eliminated by a stack containing the bat count toward feeding it, or must it eliminate units by itself?
  5. Honesty: I presume that when the screening rule is being used, a player controlling a stack which contains slower units than the topmost one simply must be trusted to move the stack the proper amount.
  6. Background: Where else can I find source material about the situation in Glorantha depicted in dragon pass? Furthmore, how come the chaos-hating Sartar troops are allowed by the game to ally chaotics such as the hydra and Delecti? Is that not a fairly major breach of flavour?

Thanks for this. We've yet to play the "full" game so if anything else comes up, I might have some more questions for you!

Stay in touch with absent friends - get MSN Messenger http://messenger.msn.co.uk