Re: Glorantha digest, Vol 9 #356 - 2 msgs

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_sierratel.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:13:52 -0800

Matt asks:

> If I wanted to collect some miniature figures to represent the armies of
the
> Lunar Empire during the Prince Argrath era, what sort of figures would I
be
> looking at? I mean is there any source as to how the Lunar Cavarly,
Infantry
> and elite forces (bloodspillers, full moon corps etc) actually looked,
> dressed and acted?

Not really. Most early (and some later) pictures have shown Greco-Roman influence in armor (but the Gladius and Pilum are generally translated into Scimitar and Spear). Later pictures have been more diverse, with Assyrian influences and even straight fantasy. With the "Decadent" Empire and the use of the word "Satrap" and Lunar symbology, an Arabic inflence is suggested. Check out the various Issaries Inc. publications for pictures - those are pretty much the latest thought in Empire military fashion.

Remember that "The Empire" ecompasses everything from Dara Happans to Barbarians of dubious personal habits. So basically, anything you want goes, from Hittite Spearmen to Gothic Cavalry to Macedonian Pikemen. Barbarian levies can use any sort of "beardy" barbarian, or thracian peltasts, or even some of the native african figures produced for "Darkest Africa". Don't forget that there are one-off units as well - the Lasadag Lions have no historical equivalent, and neither do the magical orders. Some later historical figures work as well - my Rinliddi Feathered Lancers are Polish Winged Hussars. Colonial range "Native" troops are often armed with melee weapons, so you can have 19th century Baluchis as light troops for your "Arabic" forces, etc.

I have three Lunar armies: a Greek-Macedonian-Roman spear and pike one, A Late Roman one (for the "civilised" barbarians), and a Fantasy Arabic one. One of these days I want to have a three-sided Civil war battle!

Roderick