Re: Heort's bloodline

From: David Dunham <david_at_a-sharp.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:18:21 -0800

Jerome

> Thanks for your answers. I'll say Gollanth Heortson, last king of Heort's
> lineage,
> hunted the winter deer but his sister Vinga told him to have mercy when she
> saw the doe had puppy, and keep Terra's idea of Harabos horrible misdeeds and
> doom for Harabos.

Vinga was known to the Vingkotlings (see Enclosure I p.19).

> I'm a bit confused about royal bloodlines. If Heort is the ancestor of many
> clans, shouldn't they all be royal bloodlines? What makes a bloodline so
> special that they are more royal than others?

They descend from a king :-)

Heort's form of kingship actually doesn't depend on bloodlines -- that's a Vingkotling thing. I've always thought it amusing that Sartar's kingdom reverted to Vingkotling kingship, and last weekend I finally figured out the reason: because Sartar was an Issaries hero, he wasn't qualified to be a Heortling king! (No Orlanth Rex and all.) But he must have had Vingkot's blood in him, and thus used those rites.

--

David Dunham
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>