Kumanku and Thinokos

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 19:01:25 +1200

David Dunham

>I'm worndering just who lives on Kumanku -- or more precisely, what
>type of people the Thinokos are (since that's their origin according
>to Missing Lands -- I'm not counting any later Vadeli or Fonritan
>invaders).

The people of Kumanku are not Thinokans but related to them, just as are the Masloi, the Kimotans and perhaps the extinct Loralese.

>Revealed Mythologies [p.51] calls them "Light Blues,"

This is the Fonritan term for the inhabitants of Thinokos, rather than an objective assessment of their skin colour. It may refer to the Thinokans having close relations with the local Artmali when they landed. Since Garangordos's horde were initially opposed to the Artmali, this might have been a reason for the label.

However there are no indigenous Artmali in Kumanku and so the peoples there look like the people of the Masloi.

>but "The Flight
>from Sharzu" [RM.44] seems to distinguish the Thinokos people from
>the blue-skins. And Missing Lands [p. 67] says they are nearly
>indistinguishable from other Fonritans (who are Agimori).

All Missing Lands says is that 'history has obliterated their greatest differences from other Fonritans, integrating them into a kaleidoscope of locally varied cultures". Since Fonrit still has blues and whites, this isn't necessary a reference that the Thinokans (or even Kumankuans) look like other Fonritans.

--Peter Metcalfe

End of Glorantha Digest