Ga Metals & their Provenance

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_iprimus.com.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 23:33:02 +1100

So what's the current spread of thinking on [rune] metals and their affiliations? I must admit I'm tired of trying to keep track of the seeming constant changes and contradictions. Tin seems to be the big problem, being more or less ignored in Storm Tribe. Is there any reason it shouldn't be associated with Storm/Air? And isn't silver also an Air metal?

I'd like to publish a more or less comprehensive listing on the web, and will take note of variant opinions when I do so.

Here's Mikko's Rintasaari's listing on the topic:

Copper = Earth   (earth deities accross the board)
Gold   = Fire/Sky  (Yelm and the other proper solar guys)
Silver = Lesser celestial realm, stars and moons. (Yelorna, Red Goddess)
Tin    = Primal storm/lightning (Umath)

Quicksilver = Sea (Magasta and the rest) Lead = Darkness (Kyger Litor and the rest)

to which I'd add Aluminium (properly pronounced :)), the Water element, and Adamant, which at this stage of the HW I think is more or less confined to the Mostali.

Mikko also suggests pantheons for 'crystals'

  Storm    = Diamond
  Fire     = Topaz, parhaps amber (for blood spilled into the sea)
  Earth    = Emerald, jade*
  Sea      = Sapphire (the classic blue kind)
  Darkness = Jet, Black pearls

Short, neat answers preferred. :)

John

John Hughes john_hughes_at_iprimus.com.au Canberra, Australia.
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

This shaman with the hoops stands
Aligned like living magnetic needle between deep past and looming future Butterfly pierced on each drum beat, wing beat, static spark, storm front, energy circle delineated by leaping limbs