Re: Tin Inn & Apple Lane revisited

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 09:09:06 +0000 (GMT)

> Not a Glorantha Digest subscriber perchance ... ?

It comes in once a day (too slow): and because it's only in Digest mode, it's a pain to answer to.

> & not necessarily v. receptive to / impressed by
> suggestions to "take it to the GD" ?

The esoteric bits (how do all the metals inter-relate) can go to the GD: the fun bits belong right where everyone can see them.

> I'll CC this message to the GD anyway ...

If you must. And since you've turned it pretty esoteric, I'll refrain from ccing the whole lot right back to the main list.

> > 1) What was the meaning of Tin at the time Apple
> Lane
> > was written?
> > 2) What is the meaning in the New (HW/HQ)
> Glorantha?
>
> Which are GD-type questions, of course ... :-/

The first perhaps (thought a straight "source X says Y" is all I was hoping for): the second not. That's play in current Glorantha. And it looks like no meaning is defined in the current books: at least, none of the regulars on the HW list knew of one.

> Quick esoterical answer : it's the _blue_ Sky metal,
> suggesting that it has the following possible
> origins :
>
> a) Sky contaminated by Water. This is probably
> the answer that makes most sense from the esoterical
> POV for several reasons. It's ability to alloy with
> copper
> to produce bronze, a new metal, sounds like a Water
> Rune power of blending to me.

I like it. But I don't know of any source material that suggests this one: and it sounds as if we have enough conflicting answers already without inventing more?

> b) I might speculate that tin is itself an alloy of
> gold
> and quicksilver. The Heortlings may have some
> ancient &
> v. obscure myth of Dayzatar and Tar-Helera ?

Tar-who? Is that obscure-ancient-source, or obscure-hidden-in-HW?

> > 3) What was the intention of the writers: why did
> they
> > pick Tin?
>
> Obviously, for the alliteration, & no other good
> reason ...

I was still thinking cats on roofs myself.

> ... which doesn't mean that no retroactive
> "intention" can be found ... :-)

Exactly: the fun bit!

> Is it necessarily a good idea to have Apple Lane
> making "sense" ? I'm a little unconvinced.

Yes. Old players want to be able to use it, and were complaining that it didn't fit the "new Glorantha." Which is where this all started, remember? Getting the RQ2 players over to HW. And new players, starting with the current HW Glorantha, would be completely baffled.

> Sure, I'd be happy to know something about it's
> ecology,
> to wit how in hell could this place possibly survive
> ?

Which is why when I first bought the scenario, all eager having been told how wonderful it was, I laughed hysterically and threw it in the back of the cupboard unplayed.

> ..Apple Lane is an old Golden Age
> community that somehow survived.

Why not? Dragon Pass has been inhabited on and off for a long time!

> As a mad EWF-ey suggestion, could it possibly be an
> ancient "city" of the Gold Wheel Dancers ?

Which is why it has associations that make it a good place for a Pawn Shop. (Coins? What're they?)

> ... the magic apples / apple pie / cider / applejack
> / calvados /
> apple brandy / apple pancakes (cooked in a tin pan)

freeze-distilled cider... are Dragon Pass winters cold enough ? :)

> In GD mode, I'd guess that Apple Lane has been
> a weird place since the end of the Green Age,
> because that's what Glorantha's magical ecology
> would suggest, a priori.
>
> Less esoterically, I'd prefer even the EWF finding
> the place weird ... ;-)

Yeah!

> > being used by
> > Tarkalor to help him win hand of the the Feathered
> > Horse Queen. Except that we're still being
> promised a
> > novel about Tarkalor, and I'd hate to spoil it.
>
> I think the suggestion may be a little too prosaic
> from the Apple Lane weirdness POV.

Oh, he just used existing weirdness. Which he knew about because he's *been* an adventurer.

> I *do* like
> the idea that all Kings of Dragon Pass MUST
> go and do something suitably weird in Apple Lane ...

All of them might be going a bit far. We'd have to make all the rest fit, and it's too much like effort. Also has the potential to wreck other people's stories, and that's a bad thing.

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com

End of Glorantha Digest