Tin

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:05:24 +0200 (EET)

:So how is the explanation that Bronze is common when associated with
:Umath and remarkable when associated with Orlanth anything other than
:intricate or convoluted? If you must cast aspersions on what other
:people think then its wise to see that your own theories do not suffer
:from similar flaws.
:
:--Peter Metcalfe

Easy P. We are all friends here.

Bronze is very different from the _runic_ metals, by all the accounts. Air/Storm is one of the five major elements, so it should have a _runic_ metal attributed to it.

Bronze is a remarkable metal in the _mundane_ sense, it makes for much better _weapons_ than copper (the only real alternative, without enchanting), so the invention, or introduction, of bronze has made a big difference in Glorantha, as on Terra.

You are splicing words here...

  ***

But as allways, if you don't like it, feel free to ignore it. I'm fairly sure some people will find this line of reasoning interesting.

And it's not to say Orlanth will only be involved with Tin. Of course there are seremonies and Hero Quest stages where one will need to gift or use silver, bronze, etc... even iron.

I just feel it's nice to have a neat and sensible table for the truest metals for the elements, and not have Storm as the dumping ground. Something that was never tought out properly.

There's also a hidden bonus. AS far as art goes, all this is almost a non issue. Polished iron, silver and tin look pretty much the same in an illustration.

btw.

"Air was the last of the great elements born in Godtime to make the world." - Wyrms Footprints, Gods of Storm p 64. So calling Umath a young god is pretty far fetched. Everybody has parent's (at least one) in the cosmology, but Umath is still one of the primal elements.

        -Adept

I think I think... Therefore I think I am.