Sorcery thinking

From: Antonio Alvarez del Cuvillo <antalvarez1976_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 21:32:13 +0100

>First is creation (formation of an idea from something unknowable). Then
comes perception
> (complete elucidation of the idea from its starting axioms) and
manifestation (making real the idea or either associating it >mentally with various sensations), duplication (doubling its effect) and destruction (taking apart the idea piece
> by piece until one is left with nothing).

Very interesting. I was thinking in a sort of inductive reasoning (looking for abstract laws in mundane facts) and you talk (I think) in a sort of deductive reasoning. Sure, most sorcerers combine the two methods. But, just some mad idea: if we are talking about the Other Side (for sorcerers), induction sounds me as a sort of empyrical analysis; deduction sounds me more likely to Theology and God-given intelligence.

It could be that 'normal' sorcery uses an inductive (magical) method for learning the abstract laws and essences of reality (mainly, reaching Adept Plane since Inner World) and Veneration uses a deductive (magical) method for descending higher thoughts to the Inner World? But, for deduction, you need general ideas, thoughts or axioms to begin, so you have to Venerate the thoughts of someone (you connect with the apropiate Node in Saint Plane venerating a saint, for example) and then, you could descend this higher concepts to mundane reality (blessings). Super-Venerators could become saints, venerating a Prophet or a Saint, reaching new higher thoughts in saint plane when they die (fifth action).

If that's true, from normal malkioni POV, Malkion had contact with first plane (Solace), and show the method for reaching it to his disciples. So you have to descend since this idea, venerating Malkion, emulating logical principles in the world, and you finally have to reach Five Action (so, you have to die for reaching Solace).

From hrestoli POV, Hrestol had a revelation of first plane (Solace) venerating Malkion and finally suffered and died (and reached Solace). But, his venerators are able to reach his higher thoughts in Invisible Measure, and descend his revelation of Solace to the Word (the Joy).

Most wizards would use a mixture between "scientific" sorcery and veneration.

Well, sorry for my strange disgressions ;-)

Antonio

End of Glorantha Digest