Re: Lunars

From: Kevin P. McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_ncsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 10:02:05 -0500

Peter writes:

>>BTW, what is meant by "Lunars" in the ILH-1 population spread?
>>

>People that worship the Red Moon and associated deities?

<laugh>

The list Mark gave seems ambiguous to me - is it ethnic or religious? The term "Carmanian" is technically religious, but for all practical purposes is an ethnic term (although the ethnic group in question is mostly a subset of Pelandan). The term "Pelandan" is a pretty broad ethnic reference - it might include the Bisosae around lake Oronin, the people of the Oronin River city states, the Kereusi and Oronai in Bindle, etc, etc. The term "Dara Happan" seems pretty solidly an ethnic reference to the Oslir Triopolis but he might have meant anyone who worships in the Yelmic solar pantheon. Then there is "Lunar", which is the broadest term of them all! It is a religious/social term that could include anyone from Tarsh to Rinliddi, from Oronin to the Red Lands. Heck, even the Arrolians are Lunars! What about Dara Happan Lunars? Do they fall into the Dara Happan category or the Lunar category? In short, a list that includes both "Pelandan", "Dara Happan", and "Lunar" seems to be mixing ethnic and religious terms pretty freely. I can't help but feel that Mark means something more specific.

I am assuming that in the context of the ILH-1 the exact usage of these terms will be clearer than it is in an isolated digest quote. I am happy to wait until it arrives before continuing this particular discussion. It may be completely moot.

~Kevin McD