Veth Esidisi

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_mrg.biglobe.ne.jp>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 05:15:10 +0900

Hello. I haven't read ILH-1 yet....both Peter and Kevin seem to be twisted by Greg's fickle nature....by overtoning and attaching one source and slighting on another source by their own preference (IMHO)....Kevin attaching to Entekosiad (but IMHO he slights influence of Lendarshi and Spolite), while Peter care much about more older source like Nick's history and Greg's theological article (but IMHO he slights Kevin's attachment to Entekosiad / Bisosae cycle and Carmanos doctrine). But mythological event itself should be explained from several different views....

About Entekosiad, I can divide it into several pieces for it is not for one culture, but several people and different ages, like Wendaria (Mt Fire) =Oroninela (Oronin), Pelanda (Jernotius), Naveria, Bisosae, Lendarshi (Nomad?), Carmania etc....and Valare doesn't intend to unify them as Plentonius in GROY, for her principle to Lunar creed.

And I can add Nick's Carmanian History, Greg's fragments for Lenshi kings and other articles of Kevin and Loren......I agree with Martin Laurie's phrase, "it is nightmare to write about Carmania....."

> >So what were those Lake Oronin Blues like?
>
> The Entekosiad (p51) has the DediOronin - said to be humans imitating
> their conquerors with blue paint and evil ways but that's only the
> surfacers rather than the people within that you were asking about.
> Oronin himself is said to be royal (Entekosiad p53) when YarGan takes
> his crown from him.

Another interesting fragment can be found in Bisosae cycle, like Bisos, kidnapped Esus from her home like Zeus did Europa.....and brought her an isle of Mabakarisarro.... "Bull stops here battle" was mentioned some of greg's fragments but didn't talk much..... Though Greg mainly used the Greek image to many Pelandan mythologies, that might be similar to the situation of RW greek mythology adopted many oriental mythology like Attis (Adonis)....and transformed it into own image....

> So it seems that there's two types of blue people there - the Oroninae,
> the conquerers of fire mountain and the YarGanites - the servants of
> the evil god.

I feel some oversimplisation here.....because we don't know well about YarGan's supporter group except from his enemies. The blue people of Lake Oronin who burned Meglardinth was called Veth Esidisi in Fortunate Succession and Tales #16.

> >In essence, I am wondering how much of the
> >West was present in Castle Blue. For that matter, how did Carmanos come
> >to investigate Idovanus there?

From old Redline History:
http://www.glorantha.com/library/history/hle-0wane.html#castle-blue

> The gap only exists in the God Learner scheme of things, which the Ten
> Thousand rejected. Whatever the precise beliefs of the Ten Thousand, I
> don't think they were all that troubled about the division between Gods
> and God. Moreover they were now resident in a land in which already
> had a Creator and Sorcerers, as well as an explanation for both alongside
> gods and spirits.

I wait Hero Quest release......It seems Kevin much cares about from the POV of rules. Again, I haven't read ILH yet.....

> I would stress Carmanos's need to speak to Idovanus. And to do that, he
> must overcome GanEstoro or a wordly representative. Since YarGan
> wears Oronin's adamant crown, Carmanos in defeating him, not only gets
> to speak to Idovanus but ends up wearing becoming the magical ruler
> of ancient Wendaria/Pelanda.

Though I generally agree with Peter, I am not sure for I don't know who Charmain really is...is she truly a daughter of King Oronin? or she was a demonic (pagan?) concubine of Demon Lord who seduced Syranthir into death, but their son right the wrong? Or she was a patroness of Castle Blue who guards the lake from YarGan's ambition under the wave? Or.....?

> >The Ten Thousand
> >were a mixed bag of western Malkioni and assorted other people who
> >joined along the way. Carmanos claimed to be the son of their leader,
> >Syranthir.
>
> I'm not so sure? The Carmanians weren't interested in Syranthir until a
couple
> of centuries later when Nadar went on a rampage in Fronela. Secondly
> the Ten Thousand were an army, not a hereditary fief. If Carmanos was
> to exert influence over them, then IMO he needed something stronger
> than "my daddy lead you lot and my mommy's a goddess". Considering
> Syranthir's personal misfortune (his missus slept with his brother), the
> Ten Thousand might be very skeptical about rights based on kinship.

And after that until bull shahs usurped his throne from his descendants, they have succeeded the throne of Padishah. As carmanians are similar to persians, maybe it is some kind of Imam tutelage / intermediary role attached to shahs.

Maybe as Serpent Dynasty of Seshnela, it means some kind of Ancestor Worship....as Spolite kings sometimes conjured Ancestor Spirit......see FS, some of spolite kings can be found here.

And if in Glorantha, water element is generally friendly (subordinate?) to darkness entity......maybe it indicates something. But we don't know well about "evil guys" of Glorantha, spolites as Vadeli.......