Some Carmanian Input

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 15:35:10 -0800

Friends,

Lots of Carmanian materials here.
And lots of opinions and potentialconflicts, as well. i'd first like to remind everyone that even in modern Glorantha different people have different opinions of what REALLY happened. Yes, people can (and DO) go back to check, but disagreements still exist. A part of the Hero Wars will be that different groups will pit their opinion of the TRUTH against that of other groups, and with a HeroQuest challenge, settle the matter once and for all.

That having been said, I want to put in a couple of comments of my own.

>From: "Kevin P. McDonald" <paul_mcdonald_at_ncsu.edu>
>Julian Lord writes:
>>I realize that this interpretation is somewhat
>contrary to your intentions, but Entekosiad appears
>to ** imply ** that Idovanus and Ganesatarus were
>Pelandan entities.

Idovanus and Ganesatarus were definitely Pelandan beings, worshippped as gods in the oldest times.

>Terra Incognita writes:
>>I don't know well about the death of "Carmanos"
>cult in the Battle of Four Arrows of Light.

Nor do I. I do not believe this is something in MY canon.

>I don't know either, since the cult seems alive and
>well in the Western
>Reaches according to ILH-1. Perhaps this is an
>obsolete idea?

Carmanian dualism is certainly alive and well in Carmania.

>>IMO (warning: pre-Hero Wars/HeroQuest ideas),
>their magic would be more like
>mysticism-cum-wizardry than "sorcery".
>>
>Ah! I had not made the distinction between
>"sorcery" and "wizardry".
>That helps allot, IMO.

The HQ system of magic is called Wizardry, which includes most of the monotheistic churches. Sorcery is, in vocabulary, only a subset of wizardry which is not subject to any church dominance.

>>>Carmanos claimed to be the son of their leader,
>Syranthir. Was he able to prove this in some way?

Yes, absolutely.

>Well, one obvious proof was that the image of
>Idovanus and Vanu detached
>itself from the ruins of Borangu and rolled down to
>Brinnus when
>Carmanos declared the Great Truth. [Entekosiad p58]

Yes, and certainly others as well.

>From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>

>>In his searching,
>>the answer he found was the Pelandan god Idovanus,
>one of the High Gods.
>
>I would delete mention of the High Gods here as
>there is a conflict between
>Idovanus as one of the High Gods and Idovanus as
>the Creator. Secondly
>Idovanus was already known as the Creator in
>Pelanda as far back as the
>Storm Age.

It is possible that Idovanus is either a force that is neither wizardry nor theist, a mystic kind of philosophy. Alternately, it is possible that TWO ENTITIES are both worshipped as Idovanus. And it's still possible that it's an entity in its own short world.

>>He completed hideously dangerous quests involving
>both the Sorcerery and
>>God planes, and reached the ultimate Truth behind
>each faith - the
>>Carmanian Religion was born.
>
>This is getting a bit artificial (not to mention
>that questing is done on the
>Heroplanes). Carmanos sounds to me more like an
>inspired prophet
>rather than a religious syncretizer.

I think that this--Carmanos' true deep insights--is more important than his sycretization. The latter is more of an add-on to his true insight.

>If Carmanos was
>to exert influence over them, then IMO he needed
>something stronger
>than "my daddy lead you lot and my mommy's a
>goddess".

Yes, absolutely. He had some difficult tribulations.

>Considering
>Syranthir's personal misfortune (his missus slept
>with his brother), the

Non canon for me, though not rejected by me either. (I just don't know that tale...)

>Ten Thousand might be very skeptical about rights
>based on kinship.

This is true. Remember that they came form a land that was more Hrestol-oriented (meritocracy).

End of Glorantha Digest