Sorcery and literacy

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 16:21:40 +1200

Mick Rowe:

> I was doing some forward planning for my campaign
> when i started thinking about the illiteracy era.
> AFAIK everyone loses the ability to read and write

It's debatable whether this only effects the Orlanthi or not.

> Does this mean that the sorcerous magic system, and
> the societies it supports, collapses? - as their
> magic is written down in books and grimoires.

Although words and books are useful, sorcery can be practiced without them. All that is necessary to perform sorcery is the ability to think logically - hence oral transmission (or even telepathy) of magical concepts is possible.

 --Peter Metcalfe