Re: Mailing lists

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_free.fr>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 19:36:37 +0200

Ian :

> But what I am sensing from the discussion is that many people are
> dissatisfied with the GD format (even though some are clearly not).

I am satisfied with the GD format, for reasons that Graham himself has quite eloquently put forward.

> The choice seems simple to me. Either GD is changed to become
> accessible (i.e. allow the choice of individual mails and a daily
> digest) or people will vote with their feet and go elsewhere.

I am not atempting to replace the GD.

Of course, people will eventually always do what they want, but what I'm proposing is a place for more medium-level discussion, as I find the basic oldbie/newbie polarity of the existing set-up to be a little stifling.

If this new list turned into a new GD and nothing else, then I'd have to conclude the experiment was a failure, except I suppose that it would at least tell us which format people preferred, the current GD one or the yahoogroup variety.

> > Is it really too much to ask that people try and compromise a bit
> > first?
>
> Yes let's compromise - allow GD subscribers to have individual emails
> rather than the one size fits all daily digest. Then everyone will be
> happy.

I personally like the current format of the GD, but why not ?

Julian Lord