Re: Mailing lists

From: Kevin P. McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_ncsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 10:25:05 -0400

Just throwing my two cents:

I personally like the current digest format. Receiving all the emails in one package once per day makes the list feel more manageable to me, although I could live with individual emails delivered in a batch once per day. I also like the slow post-and-response rate because it gives me time for research and serious thought. In fact, I have recently instituted a personal policy of not responding on a topic until *two* email digests have been received after making a post. This gives more time to others for thoughtful replys, and gives me more input before I respond. The other digests have conversations that often move faster than I can keep up with, so I find myself skipping days of emails just waiting for things to cool down.

Are some of the conversations here uninteresting? Yes - I don't care much about Orlanthi, so I have that problem on both groups! ;) I do like the fact there there is one place for quick game-related information requests (HeroQuest-RPG/HW-Digest) and one for in depth discussions, or discussions of off-beat places. I found the recent Carmania discussion to be both informative and polite, yet filled with a variety of opinions - which is exactly what I want from this digest. Does it get heated occasionally? I have seen more flame-wars on the Yahoo groups than here lately, so I don't think we have a special problem there. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a serious flame-war on the Glorantha Digest in a while... What happened? <laugh>

~Kevin McD