Re: Changes to the Digest??

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_albionsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 13:04:29 +0100

Hi all,

Many responses to my query on whether and in what way the Digest should change. I've been pleasantly surprised by the positive tone of most people, both here and in private e-mails. It seems that the nay-sayers may well be the vocal minority. Time will tell.

There are a few points I want to quickly respond to :

T. Kurt Bond :
>(at least with Mailman 2.1.1, although the glorantha digest
>is currently running under Mailman 2.0.8)

The reason we're still running on 2.0 is that last time I checked 2.1 had not been declared "production quality". This has now changed, and I wil be upgrading the software at some point soon. This will take a certain amount of work, especially given the number of other mailing lists I host, so exactly when this will happen I'm not going to promise. There are a number of advantages to 2.1 - mainly that you won't need to unsubscribe and resubscribe when you change address - but I'm not sure that it actually helps with the current dillema.

Julian Lord (replying to me) :
> > 3. I can fiddle the software so that all messages come in a
> > bunch (normally once a day), but in either digest or individual format
> > as desired. This *WILL* involve a lot more work on my part...
>
>There are all sorts of similarly unconventional solutions that
>spring to mind, but here I agree with Graham : IMO it depends
>what people actually want from the GD.
>
>However, all messages coming once a day still wouldn't
>help some people's desires for quicker response times on
>certain types of threads.

Any solution is going to be a compromise. So far I've only seen (I think!) one person for whom the response time is an issue. Not sure I want to make changes to appease one (or a very few) people.

So, anyone else think that the slow rate of discussion here is specifically a problem?

Tim Ellis :
> >5. I can leave things as they are. We have over a hundred more members than
> >HQ-RPG, so presumably I'm doing something right...
> >

>not telling them how to unsubscribe ;)

I assume this is meant as a joke, but given the number of e-mails I get asking how to unsubscribe, it really isn't. The answer is, of course, to be found at the start and end of every Digest...

Donald Oddy :
> >4. I can open it up totally, a la HQ-RPG.
>
>I don't see any real problem with this, I don't think the subject matter
>encourages the bitty ill thought out responses which tend to plague
>Yahoo groups.

But would the subject matter change if the list were opened up? Remember, the remit for the Digest includes everything Gloranthan (including anything that is also in the remit for the HQ-RPG list). If people are willing to stray off topic and post "bitty, ill though out responses" on HQ, why not here?

Antonio Alvarez del Cuvillo :
>If someone thinks the list is too esoteric,
>please, discuss 'lighter' topics or do non-esoteric commentaries to the
>current topics; it's possible in this list, IMO

A comment that I can only agree with, in clear violation of the rules. <grin>

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson