Lists 'n' stuff (yes, reply to entire Digest)

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 13:12:48 +0100 (BST)

> Graham:
> > 2. I can tell off and (if needed) moderate those
> posters who continuously
> > post overly dull messages.

Only possible, surely, if "dull" means something *other* than "I personally don't care about this subject"? Given the wide range of interests, at least one person's bound to find each post of interest.

How about 6: switch on the option to receive individual messages? Or is this considerably harder work than it looks?

Nils:
> I receive all mailing lists in digest format as I
> hate having to delete oodles of messages.

Just curious: why? For me this means skimming the list of headers, selecting the titles I know I don't want to read, and hitting a Delete button. (Doing this a lot on the HW list since the Lunar book came out: "delete" is a satisfactory variant on "burn them"!) Very little paging down required (well, one "next page" link per 25 messages).

Ian Cooper:
> HQ-rpg ... conversations that
> reference unfinished works, out-of-print, or non II
> publications are moderated.

Actually, no, according to the published rules. "Assume the reader has never seen material from before HW:RIG publication and doesn't buy the fan produced material." Not "doesn't want to know about" or "is incapable of understanding", just "hasn't seen".

So when they ask for info, you *must* give the info, not the page number (subject to copyright restrictions). And preferably a note as to when the material you're refering to was produced, whether it was "official", and just how badly superseded it's been since. Just like, for the last few years at least, we've been doing here.

After all, how else does one deal with a request for the names of every clan in Sartar, or a request on how to fit Apple Lane into a potential new HW campaign?

> A lot of threads die when this happens partially
> as a result of
> the transfer, partially because folks just start
> posting here mid-argument and do not start afresh,

That's a very good point, I suspect. Especially since the conversation continues on the original list for up to a day before the Digest can pick it up, and often for several hours before even that list realises it's moved.

But how do we get round that one without having to repeat the entire half-conversation over here? When most of us will already have seen it on the original list? (I take it that such repetition would be seen as a bad thing?)

Graham:
> 3a. Increase the frequency of the digest, probably
> by reducing the maximum
> size so that it appears when there are 4-6 mails in
> the queue. Although
> two, three or even four times a day digests are
> possible as well.

This would be good.

I wonder if altering the time of day would help? though with all of us in different time zones, I suspect this would be another case of "can't please everyone". At present it hits my inbox after I'm in work in the morning. My next chance to use a non-web-based email client will then be the next morning over breakfast: maximum delay between reading and easy responding. I'll have thought out an answer, and then completely forgotten about it, by then. Inspiration, if any, dead due to lack of chance to use it.

"Kevin P. McDonald"
> Are some of the conversations here uninteresting?
> Yes - I don't care much about Orlanthi,

I knew there had to be someone!

> Is the ability to burst digests so lacking in
> popular e-mail clients?

I'd never even heard of it until it was mentioned recently. Yahoo's Help does not imply any such ability for their web interface. Questions on other groups concerned with email usually come back with "just set the list to come as individual messages".

> I see that the glorantha digest is a Mailman mailing
> list, and it is
> possible for each individual subscriber to set the
> type of digest to
> recieve to MIME. That may help somewhat, depending
> on how your e-mail
> client deals with MIME.

I've now set mine to MIME, and will see what happens. (Not having much idea what was meant by this, I'd gone for text as being safe.)
A day to wait for results, of course. I suspect that Yahoo will find the result completely unreadable, but Pegasus should be able to make *something* of it. I may therefore be asking someone to forward me a text copy of the next Digest in the near future :(

Yahoo! Plus
For a better Internet experience
http://www.yahoo.co.uk/btoffer