Re: Glorantha digest format

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 07:19:56 -0700 (PDT)

Bother.

>This having raised its weary head on the all new HQ
>list, I'll bring it up in the proper place.
>
>There has been a certain number of complaints, from a
>seemingly small number of people, that the Digest may
>not be run in the best possible manner. Specifically,
>there are two complaints. First, that the list is too

>dry, esoteric, scary, or whatever. Secondly, that the
>enforced lumping of e-mails into digests is too
>difficult to work with.
>
>Now personally, I don't see the problem. The First is
>only a function of those who choose to post, and
>without turning this entirely moderated, I
>don't see a way of solving this. I believe that
>turning this fully moderated would cause more
>problems than it solves. The second is the
>price of slowing down the rate of discussion, which I
>believe leads to a better signal to noise ratio here
>than on the other lists.

Thanks for opening up the discussion, but I agree with your points. Anyone can post anything here. The most polite and encouraging responses seen on the GD are those to people identifying themselves as lurkers and newbies. Those between well known posters often start with tone along lines of "Look, you flaming idiot," but that is often a well-worn ritual (or else well deserved, at least when replying to my posts).

As to more frequent mailings, I unsubscribed to most of the other lists because they came too dang often.

>I can see several possible changes :
>
>1. I can make this fully moderated, and only allow
>posts which match some set of rules that we agree to
>as to what constitutes an "acceptable" post.

If you did this, I'm sure someone would start up a new, unmoderated GD elsewhere.

>2. I can tell off and (if needed) moderate those
>posters who continuously post overly dull messages.
>This would probably be in response to a number
>of complaints from other list members.

How about we just flame them? Err, I mean, exert gentle community persuasion. Or better yet, there's this fine thing on the keyboard called Page Down. I make extensive use of it; I'm sure others could learn.

>5. I can leave things as they are. We have over a
>hundred more members than HQ-RPG . . .

Yes!

Other options:

6.  Raid the complainers.
7.  Send for shamans to curse them.
8.  Hire mercenaries to raid them.
9.  Have the trickster waggle his bum at them.
10. Tell the lunars that they openly worship Orlanth, then watch from the bushes.

Chris Lemens