The Lists Quarrel

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_free.fr>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 17:00:56 +0200

Graham :

> Many responses to my query on whether and in what way the Digest
> should change. I've been pleasantly surprised by the positive tone of
> most people, both here and in private e-mails. It seems that the
> nay-sayers may well be the vocal minority.

But it's fair to say also that the yay-saying has so far been much more negative in tone than the nay-saying ... :-(

> Time will tell.

I agree.

> But would the subject matter change if the list were opened up?

Inevitably.

Nick :

> Yesbut: why tamper with something that is working quite
> *extraordinarily* well in its current form?

There is IMO no problem with the GD format.

Jane :

> I wonder if altering the time of day would help?

I don't think so.

Chris :

> Thanks for opening up the discussion,

You're welcome ... :-D

> >1. I can make this fully moderated, and only allow
> >posts which match some set of rules that we agree to
> >as to what constitutes an "acceptable" post.
>
> If you did this, I'm sure someone would start up a
> new, unmoderated GD elsewhere.

I don't think so : the GD is, after all, unique ...

Alison :

> I rest happy in the knowledge that if there is a major topic that I
> want chewed right through to the marrow, I need only pique the
> interest of a handful of the Digest scholars, and I'm set. Thank you.

:-)

Jane :

> But these scholars also have discussions down the pub:
> the white-heat-of-inspiration ones, where we're all
> sparking ideas off each other, and coming up with some
> great creative stuff as a result (and a lot of garbage
> that gets discarded within the next post or next five
> minutes). Think of the Convulsion bar at about 2am :)
> All rule systems welcome, all sources welcome.
>
> At present the only bar in town is the HW list. Which
> serves soft drinks only, and is aimed at apprentices.
> Again, this is a good thing, and needed.
>
> But where do the really creative discussions, the ones
> that grab everything from every source ever produced,
> go in the meantime? Not the kiddies bar, we apparently
> scare them (though I've never yet noticed any of the
> actual newbies saying this, now I think about it!).
> Not the library: too slow, and disturbs the hushed
> whispers. Back to a friend's house (via the
> off-licence)? aka private email? Fine, but others miss
> out.
>
> I suspect we need a new bar.

Thanks Jane for expressing my own feelings far more eloquently than I ever could !! :-)

> The one disadvantage I can see so far is that the
> "professors" would to some extent abandon the
> apprentices' bar,

Is this a disadvantage ?

I beg to differ.

> leaving less and less people to
> actually answer their questions.

"Sorry, no Real Glorantha Ale here mate. Why not head over to the Crimson Gnostic just down the road?"

Julian Lord