Keets & Sorns

From: Stewart Stansfield <stewart_at_cynoscephalae.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 22:34:52 +0100

Thanks for the reply, David. Jane has also been kind enough to forward some info, and my general understanding of various watefowl is increasing considerably! I've only really been a follower of HeroWars/HeroQuest and Glorantha for a small amount of time, but I'm gradually getting there...

> Sadly, I'm not aware of any serious Duck player characters. I do
> recommend playing the first few years of King of Dragon Pass...

I have to apologise to you here, David: I'm probably one of the few people on the list who *hasn't* played it. Rest assured that I'll correct my oversight soon! :o)

> > there are Durulz in the east, where they are called Keets
>
> I think to be picky, the Keets of the west are duck-form Durulz.
> There are a variety of Keet types, including the pterodactyl Sorns.

For reasons I state later, I'm exceedingly interested in the Sorns: could anyone possibly point me to any more [Gloranthan] resources? Following David, I've tracked down some mails in the archive (e.g. Michael Cule's mail from 27th May 1999 and Sandy's mails)... Is this the main source for their...ummm... lore?

Is there any work in 'Revealed Mythologies'?

[If they are mainly mentioned in print in TotRM #17, my apologies, I havn't had chance to read it yet]

> At 15:35 -0400 96-05-25, Sandy Petersen wrote:
>
> > Well, it turns out that at least the ducks' bad temper...
keets.

I've just learnt that a friend has the TotRM #17, which has Sandy's article on Keets. I shall endeavour to read it asap [which sadly equates to a week and a half...]!

A little explanation on one of the reasons behind the query:

We're playing about with fleshing out a campaign setting based in Caladraland and Esrolia. I'm afraid that none of our group possess Vesa's Tradetalk article on Caladraland, so we're working from our own bases. But I must say that as a volcanologist with an interest in volcano-related mythology, the chance to further design a realm with a 'lava-scarred priesthood' seemed too good to pass up, if unfair to other authors who had already put the work in!

There was serious consideration regarding the placement of a Durulz (originally) community in the area (as horrific as it may sound to some), most probably on the eastern coast of Caladraland. Not necessarily as comic relief (though visions of a quacking towel-beshouldered horde heading down to the Vapour Pits for a primitive sauna come disturbingly to mind), but because future campaigns would be set there in their near entirety, and I personally wished to place certain Gloranthan elements in this setting, should they not prove too disparate. Given the relative humidity and forestation of the region, the coastal setting and general 'feel' developed, it would now seem more logical to perhaps develop 'ducks' who are more akin to their eastern brethren.

Coming back to Sorns, this is interesting, as we had already decided that our volcanoes would be rather lonely without their due accompaniment of sky-beasts (pterosaurs), and for greater social intrigue we were generating a Caladran secret society which, naturally, worshipped a primordial pterosauric creature of Chaos (for any comics fans here, I'm drawn to an image of an old villain by the name of Thrill-Killer, who wore an evil-looking pteranosaur-hide cowl and mantle, and appeared in DC Comics Presents #95, 1986). I am thus intrigued!

Best,

Stu.

End of Glorantha Digest