Re: Keets & Sorns

From: Nils Weinander <nils_at_weinander.org>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 22:13:41 +0200

Stewart & David D:

>> For reasons I state later, I'm exceedingly interested in the Sorns:
>
> I think Sandy is their source. Nils W may know much about them.

Greg Fried invented the sorns, back when he and Sandy and I worked on the East Isles.

>> Is there any work in 'Revealed Mythologies'?
>
> I haven't read the Eastern section, but I don't think there's
> anything on sorns. There is however much on keets (and Keetela).

There is a little about sorns, but they are not named as such. The myths of Ezel Balurenesh (p.70-71), the Mirror War (p.75-76) and The Dream Cycle (p.79-80) are connected to their background.

The Mirror War myth tells that the ezelites (flying keets) spread Thella's Net but were blasted from the skies (lost flight again) by rebel ezelites who followed the nightmare goddess. These became the sorns, see RM p.76.

>> [If they are mainly mentioned in print in TotRM #17, my apologies,
>> I havn't
>> had chance to read it yet]
>
>Yeah, looks like p. 40 is your bet. "One tribe of keet is said to
>have selfishly refused to give up their powers of flight, and to have
>in fact sided with Chaos and the Black Moon. These are the Sorns --
>the pterodactyl keets. They are the most common chaos species..."
>There's more on sorns and other keets.

Since this article was written, a lot more information about the East Isles and Vithelan myths has been published. Some of the material in Tales #17 is now obsolete. But most of all, we now know that it is not applicable to all of the East Isles area. Also, the enemies are antigods, which is not quite the same as chaos (even though many antigods would be considered chaotic by your average Uroxi).

Nils Weinander
We sail on a ship made of dreams.