Re: Glorantha digest, Vol 9 #402 - 2 msgs

From: Osentalka_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 13:42:49 EDT

Hello Friends

> I personally like the weirdness of the rotating Destix explanation,
> which shouldn't come as a surprise to many ... ;-)

So do I.=20
It is far more fantasy like, than this rotating 20th entury science=20 explanation.=20

> Although I must admit to really disliking the idea that the Moon=20
> doesn't rotate.

Sorry, but i don=B4t agree.=20
The Red Moon was part of Glorantha (crater).=20 Glorantha doesn=B4t rotate, so why should the Red Moon?

> Hmmm ... maybe, instead of staring fixedly southwards,
> the Moon rotates anticlockwise, taking four weeks (one month !)
> to turn 360=B0 ? IMG the weirder the Moon the better,
> although obviously that wouldn't be everyone's cup of weirdness.

Have a look at Tales # Lunar Special. The map of the red moon shows a place=20 (doesn=B4t remember the name at the moment) where spears can be found standi= ng,=20
with tips into the sky, en masse. That is because a long time ago an Orlanth= i=20
hero jumped from the top of the world onto the moon.=20

If the moon rotates the landing point of another person, makeing a new=20 attempt, could be at a lot of different places. So it wouldn=B4t make any se= nse=20
to place the spears exactly on THIS space.=20

> > So. Personally I like the moon to be seen in the same phase regardless
> > of where the observer is standing. So in my vision the moon is
> > pulsing, not turning.

>=20
> I like this explanation for what is seen in the Silver Shadow.

Silver Shadow has to be special place what so ever. At least there should be= =20
a special explanation for Glamour, and surriunding area.=20 IMHO Glamour (and may be Silver Shadow at all) should have ALWAYS have a ful= l=20
moon.=20

Another problem is the shadow of the Red Moon; the REAL one that appears on=20 glorantha when the Red Moon is between an area of Glorantha and Yelm.=20 Wouldn=B4t Glamour be most of the time in shadow?

cheers

Andr=E9=20