Red Moon Rising

From: Nick Brooke <nick_at_etyries.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 05:08:19 +0100

Andre writes:

> The Red Moon was part of Glorantha (crater).
> Glorantha doesn't rotate, so why should the Red Moon?

The Red Moon is the embodiment of Sedenya the Turner. Sedenya turns, so why wouldn't the Red Moon?

>> Hmmm ... maybe, instead of staring fixedly southwards, >> the Moon rotates anticlockwise...

> Have a look at Tales # Lunar Special. The map of the red moon=20
> shows a place (doesn't remember the name at the moment) where
> spears can be found standing, with tips into the sky, en masse.

Yes, Andre. That article is also the *only* place where the moon is = stated
to stare fixedly southwards. It's reasonable to expect the article to be internally consistent (by e.g. including the spiky place you mention on = the
map and gazetteer). But it's *not* reasonable to expect us to accept = every
minor detail of that article, if you already know we don't like one of = its
major themes.

> Silver Shadow has to be special place what so ever. At least=20
> there should be a special explanation for Glamour, and surriunding
> area.

I completely agree. This is the throbbing, pulsing heart of Lunar Power where it touches the Middle World.

> IMHO Glamour (and may be Silver Shadow at all) should have=20
> ALWAYS have a full moon.

That sounds potentially unbalanced to me; OTOH, even before the Glowline existed, IMO you'd have gained some sort of "Glowline-like" benefits = from
being in the Silver Shadow.

> Another problem is the shadow of the Red Moon; the REAL one=20
> that appears on Glorantha when the Red Moon is between an area
> of Glorantha and Yelm. Wouldn't Glamour be most of the time in
> shadow?

No, because Yelm isn't eclipsed by the Red Moon anywhere within the = world of
Glorantha. Yelm is not vertically overhead at noon in Glamour -- his = path
lies to the south, of course, and *apparently* even further south in = Dark
and Storm seasons. (Actually, it's just lower in the sky, then... more = in
this vein on request).

Irritating scientific types who screw around with horizons -- nothing personal, guys! -- like to speculate about a Permanent Lunar Eclipse = Zone
somewhere up in the uninhabitable tundra; if so minded, you can find = their
annoying screeds (none of which have accomplished anything noteworthy) = with
a good search engine (try: www.google.com for eclipse+glorantha, then = get
more results from the *excellent* temppeli Glorantha Digest archives, = and
pull off the relevant posts - *not* the "By Subject" or "By Thread" = index
entries).

Cheers, Nick

End of Glorantha Digest