Red Moon appearance.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 23:50:32 +0100

Nick Brooke:
> No, because Yelm isn't eclipsed by the Red Moon anywhere within the
> world of Glorantha. Yelm is not vertically overhead at noon in Glamour
> -- his path lies to the south, of course, and *apparently* even further
> south in Dark and Storm seasons. (Actually, it's just lower in the sky,
> then... more in this vein on request).

I can't recall if there's a Canonical Statement on this (much less one from the HW era, though Elder Secrets would have strong hints, at the least), but my understanding is that Yelm _is_ directly overhead at noon, at certain times of year -- specifically the equinoxes. In Glamour and everywhere else, come to that. If Yelm were always at least 10 degrees south of the zenith (as opposed to Zenith) then note how pleasantly shady Yelmic Retirement Towers would be...

So if the two are of an apparent size (or the moon is bigger, as Greg suggests), then the RM will at least potentially obscure Y, probably on an annual basis. If the moon is genuinely 'celestial' in appearance, this presumably would be an actual eclipse. If OTOH it looks more like a 10 mile wide chunk of rock a few dozen miles in the sky, it may be rather less dramatic than that.

Cheers,
Alex.

End of Glorantha Digest