Re: Anti-social characters and party dynamics

From: Kevin P. McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_ncsu.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 11:58:42 -0400

Nick writes:

>In my opinion, any Narrator who seriously considers including a Lunar-Loving Trickster Traitor within a party of Hardy Heortling Heroes is either so
>brilliant they won't require our advice, or so foolish they won't listen to
>it.

Always eager to fit into the "fool" category, I ran a lengthy game set in Riskland a few years back including this sort of theme - with a twist.

The "Lunar-loving trickster traitor" was Hubris Pare, a former devotee of Ikadz who had participated in a plot to capture and brutally torture a prominent Heortling leader. The plot was not sanctioned by the Lunar authorities, and the conspirators were captured and either crucified or, as in the case of Hubris Pare, sentenced to the Danfive Xaron penitentiary for reformation. After several years of hard work and education in the Lunar Way, Hubris was released on probation and ordered to work off the remainder of his penance with the Orlanthi rabble in Riskland.

In order to be certified fully "healed" he had to prove that his prejudice against Orlanthi was gone. Thus, Hubris devoted himself to the arduous task of gaining the acceptance and trust of the Risklanders while maintaining his belief in the Lunar Way. Deep down, though, he was still not fully healed and thus tended to put his foot in his mouth on a regular basis. Further, he was a devoutly loyal lunar citizen. Hubris was quick to report any seditious activity to the Lunar authorities, and was constantly sending letters to the nearest Danfive temple. Thus, his subconscious hatred for his hosts constantly worked against his conscious drive for acceptance and the results were amusing to one and all. :)

~Kevin McD

End of Glorantha Digest