Subere version of Death myth: feedback

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_free.fr>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:06:27 +0200

Andrew :

> I've been doing some brainstorming about Uz myths, and how they would
> understand the whole Death (and Lightbringer) story. It seems to me
> that the basic Heortling version is so incompatible with the Troll
> outlook that the Uz must have a very different take on the whole God's
> War.

To the uz, Yelm (to simplify) is the source of Death.

> * To Heortlings, and most surface-types, the Underworld is the place
> of death. Humakt found death there, and whenever people or gods die,
> they go there. (Orlanth killed Yelm, so he went to the Underworld.)

But Yelm went to the Underworld because of his own beliefs, not those of Orlanth.

> * Uz clearly would not believe this. They were *alive* in the
> Underworld.

But possibly in a radically different way. Possibly not.

Remember, Death created a distinction between "alive" and "dead" that didn't exist previously. The key is that wherever you live *ideally*, the death place is the opposite of that.

> Death is in the sky.

Yes. And so are several Hells of the uz ...

"Evil" trolls can go to an eternity of damnation in the Burning Sky Place ...

Julian Lord