Re: Etyries and the Genert geas

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 00:34:18 GMT

>From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>

>If this is indeed a generic Etyries curse, then the last part is
>somewhat problematic. While the subcults of Etyries have yet to be
>officially published, I think its safe to assume that they won't
>directly parallel the Garzeen/Goldentongue/Harst scheme, so how would
>this distinction apply to them? It seems to me more likely that its only
>Etyries merchants who have converted from Issaries (Garzeen or
>Goldentongue subcults) that are affected.

That'll depend on exactly how Etyries is mythologically derived from Issaries. If the daughter of Issaries means that Etyries was actually a priestess of Issaries who founded the lunar cult then she could pass her obligation onto any or all her followers. If on the other hand she is a daughter in the same sense that Garzeen, Goldentongue and Harst are sons then there needs to be some mythological reason for her to adopt the obligation. The same of course applies to Goldentongue but I presume that one exists - it just hasn't been published yet.

From a game point of view I like the idea that some but not all Etyries priests are bound by the geas irrespective of conversion, especially Ian Gorlick's idea of a Lunar bureaucracy dedicated to the Genert Resurection Project and the potential conflict between Issaries and Etyries over credit for resurecting the god.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/