Legal Affairs of Heortling and Lunar

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_mrg.biglobe.ne.jp>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 20:11:28 +0900

Hello:

Donald Oddy:

> Orlanthi law is not that easy for the average European to understand
> either because the celtic and viking legal systems have largely
> disappeared although parts have been included many country's laws.

I exaggerated. But definitely in Japan, after the flourish of study of Scandinavian Literatures and Histories in late 70s and early 80s, the movement declined.

(snip)
> In consequence there is no conception of crime
> as we understand it - where the state punishes an individual for
> breaking a law and the person who suffered, if anyone, is ignored.
> Laws are therefore concerned almost exclusively with defining the
> duties people had to each other and how to compensate the victim
> when a duty was breached.

(snip)

You certainly made good explanation here, maybe I can use your statement somewhere.

> [1] This is additionally complicated by the fact that under Celtic
> (Brehon) law the primary legal person was not the individual but the
> family - a group that was defined at elaborate length.

Yes, I agree, see Tales #20.

> I don't think you can claim that the collapse of one of the last
governments
> to use Viking law as an indication that the legal system was unworkable.

In RW, some (most?) of each societies have experienced changes from their prosperity as well as declines.
(Maybe in Glorantha magical circumstance, such change doesn't occur without certain wiliness or intriguing party.)
The Conquest of Caesar and Harald certainly caused centralization and the reorganization, and exile movement.

(This is another crush of Gloranthan Realism and Fantasy.)

And FWIW, Efendi once defined the usage of cattle depends on the process of land fertility and productiveness....that will lessen the fertility of soil and plants and immigrants are sooner or later, to replace their way of life to the livestock and crops more suitable for settlements (it might indicates Orlanthi cannot live long in same place as their god Movement Rune hints.), even if they don't choose more Pol Joni nomad-pastoralist way. (IIRC, Efendi referred Fernand Braudel.) See my translation of Efendi's "Soil of Glorantha"
later.

(But I agree such POV might not be welcomed.)

> For a people like the Orlanthi without a centralized state or government
> it makes far more sense than modern criminal law.

I agree with you, but Lunars might claim that enlightenment can be only through the light of Civilization.

> I would expect this
> difference to be a major source of friction between the Lunar empire
> and the Orlanthi.

I read the scenario of Tales #20, the legal case between Lismelder and Vaantar Sun Dome under the Judge of Euglyptus might be good example.

(Dara Happan, but Lunar....Tatius and Euglyptus, see Mark Galeotti's article in Moon Rites)

Sincerely:
TI