Re: Glorantha for beginners

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 23:23:19 +0000

Guy Hoyle:

> If you were new to Glorantha, and wanted to start a campaign for people who=
> have had no exposure to Glorantha, but had access to all published=
> Gloranthan settings (official or unofficial),

> 1) Which one, if any, would you choose?

For me it was Karse/Heortland. Sartar is a bit like Club Tropicana - all that's missing is the sea.

Karse is basically your Pavis/Big Rubble section without the pesky beast riders, you've got a whole abandoned city just across the river of the new city. Shadowed by the troll-inhabited Shadow Plateau, abandoned by the great Creekstream River since the Pharaoh slew the Nightdragon, you get everything in a nutshell. There were EWF sites in the old city, and God Learner sites as well. I daresay there was an aldryami grove, of course there were troll tunnels, and now empty riverbeds may tell the drylanders what merfolk is about. Whatever you want, you'll find it within a week's march or cruise, unless you want real exotics - and even then you'll find the guides here.

The Midkemia-Press publication "City of Karse" gives you more detail than you're likely to use, but trust me, you'll feel comfortable for having it. I've roleplayed in that setting after launching my own twinned city, and I have a keener memory for things in Karse because of the amount of detail. It helps realizing the scale, too, if you went to Caernarfon and walked the streets yourself.

> 2) If you chose NOT to go with a previously-established Gloranthan setting,=
> which non-published area would you go with?

Same choice, really.

About Old Karse, we have a paragraph in Hrestol Arganitis' travelogue. About Lylket, we know little more than there was a Lhankor Mhy temple, then there were ruins after the machine wars (917-927), and yet the temple continued well past the dissolution of the EWF (1023).

If you want to make up your own religions, well, Arkat was here. So were the God Learners, the EWF, and Belintar. Sheng Seleris graciously absented himself, but keep looking out for Harrek.

> Please explain your reasoning. (As if I had to say that!)\

IMO city campaigning comes more natural to the majority of us city-slicking roleplayers. People have heard about money, you don't really have to know everybody when at first stalking the streets, only to find out that indeed, you know everybody, or heard about them. Much easier than memorizing a whole paternal and maternal family lineage.

Until you get caught with the rivalling power groups. Thieves, smugglers, missionaries and other lowlife compete with honest and dishonest guilds.

Of course, the city isn't the only place to explore. Adventurers like ruins, graveyards, caves, or uncovered antiques. The former River Valley offers all of these. You want to play that nifty out-of-the-way scenario with your party? Get on board of one the ships and lay off, or join that caravan. Or both.

And be careful when you return, laden with loot.

End of Glorantha Digest