Anthropomorphization of deities

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 14:02:32 -0800

>From: "Josh Reynolds" <osentalka_at_hotmail.com>

>When a deity is worshipped by multiple races, does
>their iconography portray the deity as a member of their >own race?

IF the deity is portrayed as a being of the race,then the race that worships it generally portrays the entity as its own race. Remember though that not all races portray their eitys as themselves, and that many deities have multiple images, and that many deities have no image of them as a humanoid being. Humakt, for instance, is more often portrayed simply as a sword than as a human being. Remember too that images are visual, and since trolsl have such terrible vision they often donot portray their spirits and deities as humanoid at all.

>For example, when Torkani or (human) Kitori worship Argan Argar, is he a man or a troll? (Actually he's not actually a troll either, is he? He's some sort of Darkness spirit, I thought.)

Most of the time the Torkani have not portrayed Argan Argar as either a troll or a human, butinstead worship him through natural objects through which he has spoken to them. Thus in the Kitori Forest is a big rock that has often spoken to them, and so they worship that rock. Some among them have made smaller images of that rock, which is irregularly shaped, to portray AA. Many of his images are simply shapes stamped with his runes. In one temple that used to exist in Drevan Vale they had huge rocks cut to look like his Runes. In many places he has no image at all, just a space where a shadow congeals during worship.