Re: Mystics

From: Simon Hibbs <Simon.Hibbs_at_marconi.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 12:55:09 +0100

Greg:

>>I would personally regard Samurai and Jedi as full
>>blooded mystics.
>
>I disagree, as you know.

I don't think anyone has ever considered Samurai to be in any way mystical whatsoever. They were a purely secular feudal caste. Some happened to e udhists, while others were just Animists. Why they're being linked to Jedi escapes me.

Not that I ever considered myself a particular fan of Jedi, but I do think they're being short changed.

I can see Greg's definition of Mystics, and it realy is very narrow indeed. IMHO it's a very technical definition, and I'm not entirely convinced of it's game utility.

If Taraltarans for example are not mystics, are they theists? Is Centipede-Style martial artists some form of animism? If so, I can't help finding such an approach rather disapointing.

Simon Hibbs