Re: Gloranthans' theories about glorantha

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 07:20:56 -0700 (PDT)

Me:
> >The critical point here is that most people on this
> >list stick to an approach of looking at things like
> >the gods from an internal (i.e., inside Glorantha)
> >viewpoint, and refuse to look at them from an
> >external (i.e., from outside Glorantha, what is
> >objectively true) viewpoint, because doing so
> >destroys a lot of the beautiful ambiguity that
> >generate realistic reasons for conflict inside
> >the game.

Simon Hibbs:
> I'm not realy sure whether anyone in glorantha holds
> my particult views about the metaphysics of
> glorantha, but I think Gloranthans are perfectly
> capable of comprehending, and even formulating these
> views if they were so inclined.
>
> In fact I don't think there is any theory about
> glorantha that we could formulate, that should be
> beyond the mental capacity of gloranthans to
> understand, or formulate themselves.

That was not my point. I agree with every word you said. The distinction is that if we, as players, decide that something is True about Glorantha, then it is so for all Gloranthans. If a Gloranthan decides somethign is True about Glorantha, it might or might not be, and it could be proven or disproven by heroic action.

Wisely, many of the answers we as a community generate to questions like "What is the nature of the gods?" are along the lines of "The Orlanthi think X; the Lunars think Y; and the Lunars won the last big battle where this mattered." rather than "The True nature of the universe means that the Lunars are objectively fooling themselves."

Chris Lemens