Gloranthan versions of 'Lovecraftian' adjectives

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_rubberducky.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:33:18 -0700

From: "Stewart Stansfield" <stu_stansfield_at_hotmail.com>

> Any thoughts on particularly resonant adjectives (and their
> etymology) which might be used to speak of things ancient,
> antiquarian, architectural, massive, infernal, foul or just plain
> strange in Glorantha?

I'd think for plain old weirdness, "Draconic" would rank high (variants include: "Kralorelan", "Youfish").

For weird-and-menacing, I bet "Lunar" is big. (The name of nearest big and weird culture would work, but the Lunars are getting a lot of press all over the continent.)

For weird, scary, horror-out-of-the-dark, I'd think the biggest word would be the local term for "chaos" (predark, krjalki, etc.) But "trollish"/"Uzish" would be big too, along with terms for more specific kinds of chaos ("Krarshtlike", for example, for relentless menace). I think the trolls are among the most terrifying menaces, just because you never *really* know when they're going to show up--they move in darkness, they can be very quiet, and they're aggressive. You could go to bed not knowing that there are any trolls within a hundred miles, and wake up at midnight hearing the war-drums and shrieking enlo after your stead is surrounded...