Re: Goblins?

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:34:55 +0100

Chris Graham:

>I've seen two references to goblins one I seem to believe was in trollpack as riders for giant flies (no not the you know what in the red book!) and I think a reference to goblins at than ubar (spelling?). Is there such things as goblins in glorantha or did observers got confused with trolkin. Was there any other references (or Runequest stats) published for goblins? Thanks Chris

I was once (informally) asked to provide stats for goblins, so its at least possible they exist in Glorantha, but we were never evry happy with the results, and they didn't get published. My own feeling is that the term 'goblin' is used to refer to any small malevolent humanoids, and isn't the specific name of a Gloranthan race. For instance, the Slorifings of Pamaltela are called 'goblins' in some RuneQuest sources, but clearly aren't the same as the giant fly riders of Genertela, nor the goblins of Than Ulbar. The giant fly riders could well just be trollkin - who are certainly small malevolent humanoids from the human perspective! On the other hand, the goblins saved by Xiola Umbar (in Troll Gods) and the Than Ulbar goblins are surely something else again - they could be the same as each other, but probably aren't IMO. Most likely they are unique minor races that do a good job of hiding from humans and other larger races and about which little is known yet.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic