Re: Great Compromise

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_rubberducky.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 12:39:46 -0700

"Michi Kossowsky" <michi_at_isdn.net.il>:

> Andrew:
>> Of course, there are other ways to make a god. If you're a boy god
>> and you know a friendly goddess, you can always make new gods the
>> old-fashioned way. But as I understand it, no gods who participated
>> in the Great Compromise will do this (since this would require the
>> gods to change)... but perhaps chaos gods still do this?
>
> Wait, could they still do this? Or would it break the Compromise?

As I understand it, chaos gods aren't *in* the Compromise[*] (the Great Compromise was sworn just before Wakboth arrived in Hell, IIRC). So on the one hand, they might be free to violate it and change (by, for instance, having kids); but on the other hand, the whole point of the Compromise is to protect the cosmos from that kind of thing (free-agent gods mucking things up). So if Cacodemon and Krarsht decide to get it on and make demon babies (quite a mental image!), it might attract all kinds of cosmic enforcement whup-ass on them. (Orlanth, for example, seems pretty enthusiastic about his role as Compromise Enforcer, which is the only time he gets anything that looks to us like free will.)

So... as I see it, chaos gods have somewhat more free will, but it's dangerous (to them!) to exercise it.

[*] Except Malia, who isn't always chaotic anyway, though she *is* always pretty nasty.