Esrolian military culture

From: Stewart Stansfield <stewart_at_cynoscephalae.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 10:15:06 +0100

Pete commented on the nature of Esrolian military incompetence...

Cheers, Pete, that's a proposal I like, and does do away with a lot of the problems I have with the overall concept of the Esrolian army a basic military force. The Esrolian military has always posed a bit of a problem for me, as the most efficacious military policies do not necessarily lie hand in hand with the preservation of the current matriarchal system. By recruiting moderately large numbers of men into military regiments, no matter how ill-trained and base, the Esrolians are playing with a little fire.

The curious notions of comradeship which are engendered by kin serving together (a) with dangerous weapons and (b) under a regimen which expresses the commonality of the rank and file are an important factor. Even the most lackadaisical and oppressive national military regimen will provide an element of training and common feeling, and possibly encourage more bellicose masculine theistic cults. A small threat, but one that is not necessarily averted by the concentration of magic and most social power in the matriarchal Factions.

Irrespective of the static defensive securities that Esrolia's network of fortifications provides, and the strong (dominantly) Earth magics of the Queens, Esrolian culture and necessity would require the formation of a mundane fighting force. In possessing an expendable male corps, the matriarchs enter into a play-off between the secure preservation of the matriarchal system and state security. A 'satisfactory' force, but how good? There are two extremes...

A smaller, well-trained number of men, allowed to develop their skills, provides a capable force of good morale and ability... and if recruited indigenous to the State, a fraternal force that could be dangerous to the matriarchal system, if limited in strength.

To counter this, the Esrolians might have instead chosen mass... which would diminish the factors noted above, but effectively militarily enfranchise a larger amount of the male population (and play a little more havoc on the agrarian system).

Rather, with Pete's proposal, we have a smaller force than a levy en masse (but with safeguards which diminish the threat of any indigenous content), and one within the concept and nature of Esrolian society. Mercenary forces could also interact well with the politics of the Factions.

> Of course too =
> many mercenaries could cause problems, so occasionally they had to be =
> sent to a slaughter like the Lion King's Feast ...

There is another, slightly more nefarious option, should wholly cognizant strategic folly fail...

In 424BC, Thudcydides describes the slaughter of the Spartan's Peloponesian serf-class, the Helots. Sparta feared that recent events and the growing unrest of the helots would boil over in revolt. To cut this off at the head, they

"... made a proclamation... that the helots should choose out of their own number those who claimed to have done the best service to Sparta on the battlefield, implying that they would be given their freedom. this was, however, a test conducted in the belief that the ones who showed most spirit and came forward first to claim their freedom would be the ones most likely to turn against Sparta. So about 2000 were selected, who put garlands on their heads and went round the temples under the impression that they were being made free men. Soon afterwards, however, the Spartans did away with them, and no one ever knew exactly how each one of them was killed."

If the matriarchs fear their influence, the greatest of the mercenaries could be lauded for their actions, and encouraged to present themselves to the Queens at Ernalda's temple, from whence travel to far off towns in vast Esrolia, to marry into the pick of the Esrolian families, as due reward for their bravery. Bedecked with garlands, and warmed on wine, they are paraded through the streets before they depart for their marriage place. If they spot the pallid, drawn face of an occasional man in the crowd, then they do not worry, for it is surely his cowardice at not being amongst their number that colours him so.

The Axe-Maidens of Babeester Gor, painted in a manner they have never seen before (and obviously in their honour), line the procession to the temples, alongside other female corps of the local Faction. The men are led inside, where they are prepared for their journeys to pastures and brides anew. And never seen again. As tales spread of their disappearance, the more craven or sensible shy away from any thoughts of rebellion. The headstrong laugh at the rumours, and embrace the chance for power and glory military servicec gives them, until once more they are called to be praised by the Queens...

Cheerio,

Stu.