Re: Esrolian Military - the Worm that Turned?

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 16:33:19 +0100 (BST)

Apologies, I have not really been following this, but most (*Oranthi*) men in Esrolia know that patriachy does not work too. They can point, just as well as the women can, to the disasterous rule of the men of the Vingkotling tribe which led to the Sword and Helm War. It just looks as though men ar just not suited to ruling since the destruction of the Kodigvari. Men are too emotional, too prone to act on their feelings rather than what is good for the tribe...

My take would be that Esrolian men are all too well aware of their emotional instability (their grandmothers kept admonishing them while they were growing up) and just as afraid, as the rest of society about the dangers of their rule. Offer one of them power and I would expect them to decline in favour of female kin. There are probably even local tales like
'The day men ran the village' told as a cautionary
tale. Greg's Green Age Tales in Fourtunae Succession like 'How men got useful' are very much the order of the day.

Now outsiders my regard them as 'repressed' and seek to undermine Esrolian culture for their own ends, but cultural norms are often just as harshly supported by the disadvantaged as the advantaged. Frx, women who we might regard as oppressed by their choice of clothing are often the first in line to throw stones (often literally) at those whose dress standards are more licentious. I expect that Esrolian men would justifiably worry about any man who sought or had too much authority, continually concerned that they might
'go off on one', and might seek to bring him to book
for everyone's good.

Of course player characters are always different...

Ian Cooper
0208-672-0717(H)07970-411892 (M)0207-337-6217 (W)

"Give the kids tools, so they can go build their own houses; not the blueprint of what the houses should be." Tori Amos

Yahoo! Plus - For a better Internet experience http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/yplus/yoffer.html