Esrolian Military - the Worm that Turned?

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 13:10:19 GMT

>From: "Stewart Stansfield" <stewart_at_cynoscephalae.freeserve.co.uk>

>I think this depends on the appreciation of certain factors in Esrolian
>society. Was Russia different? Take the interaction between the serfs'
>social ethos and the Russian hierarchy. A variety of factors, including
>supersition, religion and a lack of education bred a form of social
>consciousness that effectively stunted the formation of dissent. They were
>oppressed, but was there clear realisation of the fact, and upset caused
>therefrom? Many readily recognised the Tsar as their annointed ruler, chosen
>and supported by God, a recognizance reinforced by their peity and the
>Russian Orthodox church.

While the Russians were one of the last monarchies to abolish serfdom (just after the Napoloenic wars), just about every European country recruited their armies from the lower classes until after WWII and it was only a problem after the American and French revolutions. Even then the sparks for revolution came from the literate middle classes not the illiterate poor. I would be very wary of using modern parallels in any Gloranthian culture, the Dara Happens and Lunars are still at the stage of God Kings and the western regions are probably developing the idea of Kings being appointed by Malkion. Anything more recent in RW history just doesn't exist even as an idea.

>Does the Esrolian system, where there is a clearer and more present everyday
>dichotomy between citizens based on sex breed the same effectual
>aquiescence? In Esrolia the classes 'apart' are far more socially entwined
>than in Russia. Is any male contempt diffusively aimed at local oppressive
>matriarchal institutions, rather than the system, the Queens and the Earth
>Goddess as a whole? ('Begging your pardon, Ma'am, we recognize the
>benificence of yourself and the Goddess, but them local matriarchs is
>treating us right rotten...'). Clearly some feel they were oppressed by the
>general system e.g. the Porthomekans.
>
>I don't argue that a matriarchal system would breed universal discontent
>amongst the male populace, but that given the character of men (and these
>are pretty stubborn fellows) and the culture they dwell in, the
>peculiarities of military service could easily exacerbate any discontent,
>and offer an avenue for action. Gloranthan religion also enters into the
>fray; the opportunity for the development of 'outside' masculine cults
>within the army (or the perversion of the 'consortial' cults), whether
>secret, condoned or perhaps promoted, is as much a factor as giving the
>chaps weapons.

I would suggest that the structure and culture of Esrolian society prevents this being a problem. For example I think the vast majority of officers in the army are women - a man has to be both competent and cooperative to get promoted above Sergeant. Women are routinely appointed as junior officers straight out of military college (which men don't attend). This will be justified on the grounds that men are too inclined to violence while leadership requires more thought. Secondly the elite units will be all women who will be more than ready to supress any revolts. There must be a tale of a revolt supressed by Babester Gor which is told with all the gruesome details and no doubt embroidered for effect. Thirdly there is an outlet for those men who just can't cope with being ruled by women - they more out of Esrolia. While the offical policy will be to discourge such moves I'm sure it happens sometimes. Perhaps there is a heroband dedicated to smuggling dissidents out of Esrolia.

>So whilst I'll steadfastly defend the martial training of the conciously
>oppressed as a dangerous development, the problem is predominantly
>influenced by the social template you start with... and I think views on
>that may vary a little. I'll happily eat my words when I've seen the new
>Esrolia spread in HeroQuest, or HeroQuest Voices, and seen how the social
>situation has been more fully explained. Are we looking at happy fellows
>content under the wise rule of the Goddess and her daughters, or the Two
>Ronnies' 'The Worm That Turned'*? Or something that is variable and often
>in-between...
>
>*Might not mean much to non-Britons, but the best example I could think of!

Marion Zimmer Bradley's "Ruins of Isis" describes a functional yet oppressive matriarchal society. It isn't Esrolia yet some of the ideas and parallels would fit and it's one of the few books I've read which actually describes how such a society could work.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/

End of Glorantha Digest