Troll Vampires

From: Simon Hibbs <Simon.Hibbs_at_marconi.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 13:55:20 +0100

Andrew Solovay (Re ZZ being kin of KL):

> I meant he's kin just in the sense that he, like Kyger Litor,
> is a darkness
> spirit, and a descendent of... Nakala, was it? (But do the Uz
> even believe
> in Nakala? For them, Subere seems to take the role of "primal
> darkness"...)

True, I stand corrected. Although for Vivamort to be a descendent of KL he would be a troll by definition.

> > Vivamort doesn't have the man rune - Darkness, Chaos and Undeath
> > (Hunger), IIRC - and non-man-like creatures can become vampires.
>
> I think the sources are mixed on this one. In Cults of Terror, it says
> Vivamort "prefers to corrupt the lineage of Grandfather
> Mortal" ...

That's talking about Vivamort's prefered victims, not his own nature, and it's clear why from Vivamort's myths (he felt he was betrayed by Grandfather Mortal and Humakt).

> ...an Uz God-Learner would say something like
> "Hoomans are the result of somehow removing all the Darkness from Uz".

Yep, no argument there.

> I think Trolls might have a monster which fills the same
> role, for them, as
> vampires do for dayfolk--an intangible, hungry, *fire* being,
> for example...

Trotsky's post supports this idea. Obviously such magic can't orriginate from vivamort. How about the Black Sun though? A cowardly solar being that abandoned it's place in the sky world.

   "Jorazzi Redhand was another prophet who rose to    enliven his countrymen by instituting blood sacrifice to    strengthen their god. They called this new aspect the    Blood Sun and believed the god would stay strong as    long as he received fresh blood. In an amoral way, this    was acceptable before Death entered the world. When    the blood victims no longer rose and regrew their ripped    bodies, though, the worshipers of the Blood Sun grew    worried. Their god was blood and blood was life. They     their own end if Death were allowed to gain the upper    hand against Blood. They entered into a frenzy of    self-consumption that sapped the land of life."

His worshipers sacrifice blood in order to survive in a desolate wasteland, but when the rites failed they turned to self-consuming, life-sapping magic. Later they were conquered by trolls following a howling black fire; The Black Sun returned (taming the horrors of the Blood Sun), and they were ruled by trolls once more.

Perhaps the life-sapping magic survived in an undead version of the Blood Sun, corrupting some in the ruling troll elite.

Simon Hibbs