Uz and Darkness

From: Scott Haney <n0gud_at_arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 20:24:49 -0500

> From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_csmail.ucc.ie>
>Subject: Kyger Litor and the "man rune"
>I'm with Jamuz on this one: I think that's a rather GLish outlook,
>or at the very least, a human, rather than trollish one. Uz don't
>regard KL, I don't think, as a second-order result of two more
>'fundamental' principles, but as a rather more basic archetype unto
>Herself. Granted they do recognise ancestral darkness spirits (or
>gods, or other "entities") that are more ancient than KL, but I don't
>think that amounts to the same thing at all.

I agree. Also, I think that Uz are Uz. I do not believe that Uz who cease worshipping KL will eventually (over generations) become human by losing their darkness connection. No more than humans become Uz over generations by worshipping. The connection to darkness is implicit, whether they want it or not.

Individual humans might become Uz via KL's rituals, but it's rare. I do not know
if any Uz might choose to become human the same way. I rather doubt it.

Enlo, on the other hand...for a while, I had this idea that the problem with enlo is that they have lost that implicit connection with Darkness. They maintain it only via KL. If they stop performing the rituals, they become human because they lose the connection entirely. IMG, this is the nature of the Curse of Kin: a severing of the connection. The reason the Uz have had such trouble fighting it is they focus on the fertility aspect when it's really a problem with Darkness.

YGMV...greatly.

Scott
Baron von Moosehsunchen (in a rare moment of de-lurking)

End of Glorantha Digest