Troll Abstractions

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:45:22 -0800

>>and so it's an abstract question -- and
>>trolls
>>rarely sweat abstract questions...

I am not sure that trolls rarely sweat abstract questions. Perhaps this depends upon the subtle meaning of "abstract" but I know that many trolls DO sweat the abstractions.

"Is the ZZ fire different from regular fire?"
"Are scorpionmen that eat only vegetables less chaotic than those that eat intelligent beings?
"Do the ends really justify the means?"
"Which came first, the people or the darkness?"
"Are human beings truely conscious?"
"Can a human being be good?"

I think these are all things that trolls IN A TROLL SOCIETY would think about. As well as many other simlar abstractions.

simon replies:
>If your point is that, when they don't think about these
>things, trolls don't worry about whether a foes is chaotic
>or not, you're certainly right. However I'm not sure
>exactly how usefull that bit of information is. I'd rather
>know how trolls behave when it becomes an actual issue
>they have to deal with.
>
>I don't think that Chaos being realy, realy bad is an
>amazing, novel discovery that only Sartarites have managed
>to work out.

Trolls are acutely aware of chaos, of its meanings and implications and objectives, and have nothing but loathing, hatred and contempt for all things chaotic. They may not always agree with human beings about what chaos is, but they are aware of its dangers to the universe and conscious of their part in destroying it.