Man-skin too soft. Broo skin better!

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_marconi.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:47:03 -0000

Simon Phipp says:

>I play that some of the Dara Happan aristocracy do this anyway.
>Not in a barbaric way, but in a nice and civilised way.

Of course, well, that's allright then! :)

>Simon Hibbs:
>> Troll _do_not_ hunt their own people for food.
>
>Except for the Kaarg Sons who had to eat a relative once a
>season. Or has this changed now? It was a Rune Lord requirement
>in the bad old days. Maybe trolls are a lot nicer now than they
>used to be.

I don't think they're any nicer at all, and I would expect that this requirement is still there. However, the requirement doesn't say anything at all about killing a relative, or the circumstances of their death.

My guess would be that this was orriginaly intended to make sure that the Kaarg's Son did his duty in taking part in funerary rites and such. It may also have been intended to promote competition and warlike behaviour. For example I wouldn't be at all surprised if a Kaarg's Son, getting towards the end of a season and not having met the requirement, decided to lead an expedition of clan warriors (all related to him by definition) on a dangerous raid against nearby enemies, refusing to give up the assault untill he was 'forced to retreat due to the casualties we have taken'. He would then enthusiasticaly take part in the funerary rites of the fallen, naturaly.

I would not expect him to sneak up on a cousin from behind a bash him on the head.

Promotes warlike behaviour, encourages competition, encourages 'creative' thinking. All good things!

>Except for Food Trollkin, but perhaps they are not trolls
>and don't count?

They absolutely do not count. Trolls do not consider trollkin to be trolls (but they can still be relatives).

>Trolls go to their worship ceremonies and see their
>Shamans ripping the skins off live broos and making
>them into magical drums to beat when Chaos approaches.

To be fair, trolls do peel the skins off humans, and I'm sure they're known to occasionaly make drums out of them too.

>3. Don't have a full meal before worshipping.

Hur, hur, hur!

Simon Hibbs