Kra and Lo(r).

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_csmail.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:21:22 +0100

Terra Incognita asks and answers:
> What is Han? [...]

> (American Heritage Dictionary)
> 2: A Chinese dynasty (206 B.C.-A.D. 220) noted for unifying and expanding
> its national territory and for promoting literature and the arts.

That's the one.

> For a reference, I-tuang was greatly codified as philosophical and
> metaphysical canon in Sung Dynasty on the contrary of the rather shamanic
> (or taoistic) analysis in Han Dynasty.

More transliteration fun: the I-Ching, right? That by no means makes Yin and Yang a (Neo-)Confucian concept in origin, however.

> > My own notion of how the Kralori might see this as the ascending and
> > descending principles, respectively "kra" and "lo", both seen as
> > dragons. (Resemblence to the name of the country not coincidental.)
> > Or as I think it was Greg that put it, the in-breath and out-breath
> > of the Cosmic Dragon.
>
> Very Interesting. In Glorantha, I think fundamental duality exists somewhere
> between "Chaos (Orxilli?) and Law (Ancestral Dragons?)", and gender in each
> culture.

It seems that 'Chaos' as such doesn't really feature in the Vithelan understanding; perhaps the Kralori understanding is of a piece with the Vithelan one here, perhaps it has more in common with the Genertalan one.

> > > Dragonewts don't think they can become dragons,
> >
> > They don't?
>
> They = Kralori. Sorry for my poor english.

Ah, that makes a lot more sense! Though to be fair, I think we only have _Dragon Pass_ draconics on record as sneering at the Kralori; 'newts in KraLor itself may be less overtly skeptical. Though given all we know about dragonewts, as likely they're for the most part as entirely incomprehensible in their behaviour and opinions as are DNs anywhere else. (And Mr. Lemens thinks he has it hard here. (Not all infinities are equal, y'know...))

> Very difficult work, for the difference between Glorantha and RW, (not much
> sense with zodiac, celestial globe for the difference....

Yeah, there's no zodiac as such, as Yelm and Lightfore go through _every_ constellation. Analogous concepts might be in what constellation Yelm (or LF) rises (or sets) in, say.

> but far more simple.

In what way?

> Except constellations under hinges to north and south.)

Well, one might see this as analogous to winter stars in the RW, though granted the 'mechanics' seem to be different.

> In RW china,
> planets are very important for five planets represent five elements, Venus =
> Metal, Mercury = Water, Mars = Fire, Saturn = Earth, Jupiter = Wood. Jupiter
> is important among them. (But in Glorantha, only four planets are in Sun
> Path....Maybe Lokarnos is important for their ancient timekeeping.....)

I don't even know for certain how the Kralori see the "elements". (Though see my thoughts on Kralori geomancy that I shared elsewhere.) I'm certain that resident GLer apologists will insist that they must have the Same Crinkle-Cut Five as Everywhere Else. ;-)

> I still don't understand the movement of Southpath and Eastern Mouth and
> Dodging Gate.....it seems very erratic, would you explain about it? And
> calculation requirement for Nick's Ephemeris?

If it seems erratic and not understandable, then you have a pretty good picture of the situation in Glorantha, I think. ;-)

> And maybe it will touch that Nick's ten things he hates about Glorantha. I
> can't understand why there is difference of sky scheme in each areas in
> Glorantha.....

I can't imagine how it would be otherwise. To what degree do you think they ought to agree on the nature of the sky, beyond, obviously, its visual appearance?

> Maybe it is related to the document in Strangers in Prax
> "horizon of Glorantha."

I trust not. ;-)

Cheers,
Alex.