Re: Chaos the ultimate enemy?

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_rubberducky.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:59:46 -0700

Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Except for the Kaarg Sons who had to eat a relative once a season. Or
> has this changed now? It was a Rune Lord requirement in the bad old
> days. Maybe trolls are a lot nicer now than they used to be.

A little while back, I speculated that before the Curse of Kin, the usual way to fulfill this requirement was to participate in a funeral, *not* to kill a relative. (Since the CoK, killing a food trollkin has been another option.)

Since (I surmised) "relative" simply meant "any troll to whom the Karrg's Son can trace his relationship, however distantly", the effect of the geas was to force Karrg's Sons to stay in their home community, and on good terms with the Mothers (who know all the geneology).

James F. has speculated (on his website somewhere) that there are actually different geases in different troll lands, all with the purpose of putting the Karrg's Sons under the matriarchy's control. The two in the RQ writeup (hunt for the great mother, and eat a relative) are just typical geases, not universal ones.

And, yes, enlo are not considered "trolls" for these purposes--you can kill a trollkin to eat it.

> Trolls go to their worship ceremonies and see their Shamans ripping
> the skins off live broos and making them into magical drums to beat
> when Chaos approaches. They learn several things from this kind of
> thing:
> 1. Broos are our enemies
> 2. There is a thing called Chaos that is also our enemy
> 3. Don't have a full meal before worshipping.

They'd also learn that you can make use of what's left after you kill chaos. I think this is different from the Heortling view, yes? When an Orlanthi kills chaos, he destroys what's left (and maybe calls in an Eirithan to run full-on "destroy chaos" rituals to make sure the remains are really really gone). Whereas Kyger Litor made a drum from Thed's skin, and Boztakang made his throwing stones from the body of a chaos demon. (Surely an Orlanthi would say the drum and the stones are tainted by chaos!)

I'm not sure what this says about Trollish attitudes towards chaos--maybe Uz are just more practical.