Re: Trolls and Chaos

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:11:24 -0700 (PDT)

Jamuz Fruzetta:

> >Trolls are acutely aware of chaos, of its meanings
> >and implications and objectives, and have nothing
> >but loathing, hatred and contempt for all things
> >chaotic.

> Which probably puts paid to my argument with Simon.
> <laugh> Curses!

Well, no it really does not. I would think that your response would be something like "Trolls are ALSO acutely aware of the death rays of Yelm, of its meanings and implications and objectives, and have nothing but loathing, hatred and contempt for all things solar."

You seem to believe that trolls do not give _any_ extra weight to an enemy being chaotic. However, you are using examples where a non-chaotic threat is clearly more dangerous than the chaotic one. Your general principle does not follow. Simon can agree that trolls will fight a ravening horde of death-beam weilding solars before a lone broo, without agreeing that trolls would not take on the lone broo before an equally threatening lone solar. (So, if that was your point, I think Simon would concede it and perceive your point to be otherwise.) The point here is that, culturally, trolls will, to some non-zero degree, loathe/hate/fear chaos more than other threats. This will presumably affect their actions, but it does not become a categorical requirement for them to eliminate all chaos before dealing with other problems. (That's what Uroxi are for.)

Chris Lemens