Possibility of Kralori Zodiac

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_mrg.biglobe.ne.jp>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 13:49:47 +0900

I revised slightly my old scribble about Emperor and Alchemist: Thalurzni

http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~BLUEMAGI/ThalurzniEng.htm

Scaring with my Godlearnish approach and Nick's prohibition about Number 7 http://www.btinternet.com/~Nick_Brooke/rants/hate.htm

<<7. Scientific Literalists, Flat-Earthers and Other Reductionists Mr. Logic says: "Since Glorantha is a flat world with a bulge in the middle, everything must lean at funny angles in the East and West. Because sylphs can carry rocks, Gloranthan fortifications need reinforced geodesic roofs. As the sun rises from the Gates of Dawn, these must logically be located at least a hundred million miles away. Given that the Orlanthi despise dogs and goats, there can't be any dogs or goats in Orlanthi lands. As there is iron in human blood, it must be toxic to trolls." Et bloody cetera.>>

Alex:
> > Very difficult work, for the difference between Glorantha and RW, (not
much
> > sense with zodiac, celestial globe for the difference....
>
> Yeah, there's no zodiac as such, as Yelm and Lightfore go through _every_
> constellation. Analogous concepts might be in what constellation Yelm
> (or LF) rises (or sets) in, say.
>

> > but far more simple.
>
> In what way?

Comparing with the complexity of RW sky pattern in the difference between RW (global body aside from its orbital around Sun, and all of bodies moves erratically extremely speaking) and Glorantha (flat world), Glorantha sky is simple, even if Greg wants to make it more erratic by inducing more random movement.

> I can't imagine how it would be otherwise. To what degree do you think
> they ought to agree on the nature of the sky, beyond, obviously, its
> visual appearance?

Glorantha is flat, so I suppose most of celestial beings appears same if the distance to the body is not so different from the locations, while European in the latitude hardly watch the Canopus in RW (It is very important star for China and Muslim people, maybe it is "One Night Wish" in Glorantha). But if the distance to bodies is so close, you might find the difference is plausible.....

Claude Manzato:

> Somehow I see Kralorela as both culturaly unified and fragmented... they
have an 'universal' set of value, and uncounted local variations or exception. In the same way, the ruling class know that they follow the only true way, but are willing to tolerate wrong
> doctrines (unless they openly jeopardize the rightful order) because the
common multitude can't be expected to avoid the many traps of the material world. In time they will see the light.

I agree. And we don't much know about Kralorela, even with some Official Gregged Canons.

But please think about RW and about farfetched logic like Feng-Shui, you "know" Ancient (and some of Modern) Chinese believes they should make south and east of their residence should be water, while north and west mountain is good for their lack. But we baptised by western science also "know" (I hope you aren't Feng-Shui Priest....) it is a superstition attached by far developed symbolism and metaphorism attached to their believe to Yin and Yang, and Five Elements.

I know I cannot apply them straightly to Glorantha, but such farfetched view can be applied to Kralorela, whether it will work well or not. (I don't know Robin Laws agree with me even if he is the writer of the RPG "Feng-Shui".)

If you want to color your game or background with such viewpoint, though I don't know whether you have Glorious Reascent of Yelm or not, there is note that Lightfore is very important in Dara Happan cosmology for they call it young god, and they keep annual record of the planet on the Sky Dome, Glorantha Sky Dome rotates every day/night through 360+360/294ths of a degree, it makes the precise place of lightfore rising shift...and it makes around the sky dome from one part of sky river to other part, and went to the same place, annually.

And lightfore rise same place where sun rises in the morning and sets the same place where the sun sets. And precisely the time sun sets, lightfore rises, and lightfore sets, sun rises. it might mean the sun orbital draw clearly opposite side place of the sky dome orbitally and symmetrically. (But I am not sure about the difference between the length of night and day in each season....and how the rotation precisely attached to the Dome tilt and movement.)

Please see your own Kralori Calendar setting: http://perso.club-internet.fr/manzato/pagepersocm/runequest/rq42.html

I think Kralori Calendar has an advantage for it hasn't Sacred Time and divided six months precisely.
And we can divide (precisely or moderately) divide the night sky into six with the place of Sky Dome where the sun firstly rises in Spring Equinox (First Day of the Year) and the starting point will move and circle annually the sky dome. Maybe you can put your zodiac with your favorite beasts to the night sky, for we don't know anything enough about Kralori constellations.

If you doubt it, please visit Nick Brooke's Ephemeris (Java Script) and see the annual movement of lightfore by clicking the [show]->Lightfore path. http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/1394/ephem.html

Sincerely:
TI

End of Glorantha Digest