Re: Vithelans and Kralori

From: Olli Kantola <newsalor_at_ee.oulu.fi>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:26:34 +0300 (EEST)

Terra Incognita said:

>Sex, Gender and Duality of Existence are each different concepts. As Greg
>once said. Pelandans might think they are all same and called them Uleria
>and Vogmaradan, or as Vithelans, Majadan and Erdires. But we don't know
>Kralori think same as vithelans. Concerning their patriarchial society like
>Dara Happans (or RW chinese society) I don't think it is plausible.

That's right. We can't be sure, but the vithelan stuff is about the only official material beond the new and old Glorantha books. I think that as the RM implies, kralori have some things in common with the vithelans and therefore we can draw inspiration from it. However, we must also examine the existing information about Kralorela and maybe RW China.

IMHO Kralorela must not be too chinise. There are lot's of things in Kralorela already that seem borrowed from the chinise. In fact, the more I read about RW China, the more I think that todays Lunar Empire has a lot of China in it. I would not stress the patriarcalism that much because a lot of Glorantha already has plenty of it. With normal folks yes, but with mandarins and their lot no.

>Recently, Greg talked about the difficulty to achieve Mystical Liberation
>for ordinary people, and many of eastern people invented many substitutional
>metod to achieve Liberation without such difficulty, like VenForn practice,
>Austerity, Martial Art, etc....Kralori chose Magico-Centralized Nation under
>Dragon-Emperor=Bodhisattiva. He will lead poor populace to achieve Summer
>Land without any Mystical Discipline. I think these are all condemned by

That is just great and a very serious reason why Kralorela has maintained its integrity and stability.

Olli Kantola

---

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle
a light in the darkness of mere being.